Monday, July 30, 2007

nuggies, at long last

under normal circumstances, i would be both morally and nutritionally opposed to eating anything from mcdonald's. i know the food is bad and the corporation is worse. hell, i've only ordered one solitary extra value meal in the last 6 years. but my friends, these are not normal circumstances. i have been living in a wonderful ugandan village for the last four months, meeting incredibly friendly people and settling into my new home, which features endless summer weather, waterfalls, tea breaks, mountains, banana plantations, and lizards. but the food, while delicious and satisfying, has been a big change from what i am used to. for perhaps the first time in my life, my body is regularly informing me that i have not eaten enough fatty, unhealthy foods. i crave burgers, fries, pizza, and cakes, and go to great lengths to eat such things. but perhaps the most specific and unexpected craving i had was for a hot "chicken" mcnugget dipped in a tub of "fresh" sweet & sour sauce. i don't know where that craving came from or why it surfaced. but like harold & kumar, i knew i would not rest until my stomach got exactly what it wanted. which is why i was so happy upon my arrival in pretoria (i.e. america in africa). within walking distance of the guest house were two large golden arches, promising an end to my quest.

nugget in the sauce!

nuggies in the mouth!

1 comment:

Felicity said...

Rick - that really is a Happy Meal...Super Size you! Yum! One question though...can you get a double dozen like you can in the states?
M