Tuesday, July 10, 2007

poo fly!


behold the poo fly. perhaps not surprisingly, i first encountered this tiny, stink-obsessed creature long before i arrived in uganda. but what always bewildered me about him was that i had only ever seen one single poo fly in my entire life. he lived in the men's bathroom on the 3rd floor of my old office building in baltimore. sure, there were some days when the interior of that room was enough of a disaster that i would perhaps hold my breath and/or forgo a hand-washing to minimize my time commitment inside...but i never felt it was quite bad enough to spawn a new insect species. at any rate, it seemed to be exactly what had happened, and the poo fly achieved a near mythical status in my mind. this was clearly a creature that loved filth and had exquisitely discriminating taste. i felt oddly proud of the fact it had chosen a bathroom i used everyday to call its home.

you can imagine my surprise when, soon after arriving here in uganda, on the other side of the world, i encountered my old friend. i played it cool though, addressing him in a even tone. "poo fly," i said. that's as far as our conversation went. he pretended not to hear and clung lazily to the wall of the putrid pit latrine to which i was contributing. but what i did not realize at the time was that i had not been followed here by the familiar feces fiend from the 3rd floor. no...this was one of his countless relatives, who must have existed in uganda all along! perhaps my old friend grew up here and, by some odd twist of fate, i caught him on a holiday trip to our bathroom in baltimore, which he undoubtedly read about in a poo fly budget travel publication. i don't know. what i do know that my illusion was shattered. i had not, in fact, witnessed the dawn of a species.

burdened by the weight of this realization, my relationship with the poo fly quickly soured. we still speak, but it is always one-sided and my tone grows harsher each time i see him. well, actually, now it is them. they seem to be everywhere. "f*&#ing poo flies!" i mutter every time upon entering the latrine. for some reason, these tiny creatures plague me more than anything else. it is not so much that they interfere with my life or play any active role in disturbing me. for the most part, they keep to themselves. it's what they stand for...

3 comments:

T. said...

I'll let you know if your long time friend makes a reappearance in said bathroom. Well..I won't, but I'll make sure Ted keeps an eye out ;)

Ted Simpson said...

The poo fly is alive and well at MICA.

Rick said...

thanks for the report, guys! you would be shocked at the p.f. colonies i've spotted here...shocked and chagrined.